Early Start Attendance Scholarships
Early Start Attendance Scholarships were established to promote best practices in early intervention. Scholarships are available to encourage personnel who deliver early intervention and transition services to attend Early Start trainings to enhance their qualifications and competencies to provide quality services to infants and toddlers and their families who are eligible for California Early Start.
Scholarship funds are limited to available funding; therefore, apply early. Scholarship application forms are embedded in Early Start Institute online registration forms; there is no separate scholarship application process.
• Regional center (RC) staff
• RC-vendored early intervention program staff
• Individual RC-vendored specialists who provide Early Start services
• Local education agency early intervention staff
• Service coordinators
• Early Start family resource center staff
• Early Head Start staff
• Head Start or other child development program personnel providing early intervention services during transition
• Complete the Attendance Scholarship Application portion of the Early Start Institute registration form when registering, prior to the registration deadline.
• Complete and submit the Verification of Responsibility form, including the signature of the applicant’s administrator or supervisor, prior to the Early Start training event. The Verification of Responsibility form will be emailed to applicants upon submission of the Attendance Scholarship Application. Instructions for submitting the signed Verification of Responsibility form are included on the form.
• Complete and submit the Verification of Attendance form upon completion of the training to prevent cancellation of the award. Verification of Attendance forms will be provided to scholarship applicants at the conclusion of the Early Start training event.
• Applicants or their agency of employment are responsible for paying all registration fees. Scholarship funds are awarded as a reimbursement for training expenses.
• Awards for one staff person within an agency may not exceed $300 per Early Start event.
• Total agency awards per Early Start event may not exceed $1200.
• Total agency awards per year may not exceed $2400. (The fiscal year is from July through June.)
• Scholarship funds are intended to supplement a portion of training costs. Agency of employment must be willing to administer and guarantee appropriate expenditure of funds, as indicated in the Verification of Responsibility form.
Reimbursement of travel expenses is based on state-approved rates. Meals/per diem are not covered.
Collaborative funding is strongly encouraged. Applicants should identify all available funding resources.
Attendance Scholarship funds are intended to supplements costs related to:
• Travel and mileage
• Airport/train parking
Funding Limitations and Exceptions
Scholarship awards are contingent upon the appropriation of funds by the Legislature via the Annual Budget Act and for as long as the funds are available.